|The History of Augusta, Kansas
In 1868, C.N. James settled in what is now Augusta and built a log home to serve as a general store and trading post. He named the new settlement after his wife, Augusta. The James family original log cabin structure still stands at its original location.
The first train rolled into Augusta in 1881 to support the growth of livestock production and increased agriculture in the area. Shortly after the turn of the century, two railroad companies would serve the town, the Santa Fe and the Frisco.
The discovery of oil and natural gas in Butler County lead to further growth and became a major source of employment for many years.