AUGUSTA HISTORICAL SOCIETY
The Augusta Historical Society is a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving the history of our town and our state. The Augusta Historical Society maintains and is responsible for the restoration of the Augusta Historical Museum located in Historic Downtown Augusta, Kansas.
C.N. JAMES CABIN
When visiting the C.N. James log cabin, you feel the warmth, determination, and struggles of the early pioneer. Built in 1868, the cabin stood one and a half stories tall and was known as the Shamleffer and James Trading Post. The cabin is built of hand-hewn cottonwood logs from along the Walnut River. Some of these logs are 12 to 14 inches in width. The cabin is on the National Register of Historical Places and is one of only two, in the state of Kansas, on its original site. It is one of the oldest landmarks in Butler County. In 2010 it was nominated as one of the " 8 Wonders of Butler County". Augusta's first school classes were held in the upper loft and it became the meeting place of the Baptist and Methodist churches and the Masonic Lodge. Over the years, it was used as a boarding house, residence and woodworking shop. In 1939, it was purchased by the Augusta Historical Society, who restored the building and opened it for a museum.
WE CANNOT IMPROVE
WITHOUT FIRST UNDERSTANDING
Kansas Native Flower Garden
The Native Flower Garden is located behind the Augusta Historical Museum at 300 Walnut in Augusta, Kansas. Our Mission for the Native Flower Garden is to inspire a passion for the use of Kansas Nature Wildflowers through beautification and education. From benches and a beautiful cement fountain to the scents and sounds of our land, The Native Flower Garden provides the perfect location for relaxation and appreciation of the beauty within our state.